Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Whitnee Casserole

Last night as I was putting together Whitnee Casserole, I started to reminisce. When my oldest was in the 5th grade, for Mother's day the class made a little recipe book. It is the cutest little thing - Spiral Bound with a hand colored butterfly, flower and a pretty yellow sun on the cover. It says My Mother's Cook Book. On the inside cover is says; "May 15, 1990, I dedicate this book to the person that is always there, My Mom." It is full of a bunch of recipes that the kids collected from home. I have always saved it because it is precious to me. But just as important it has "Whitnee Casserole" in it. That wasn't the original name, it is Beef Casserole, but it was submitted by my daughters friend Whitnee Sacks, so therefore the name Whitnee Casserole. It's not that exciting of a dish but for some reason most of my kids really liked it. I think it was my number 2 who didn't like it because it had olives in it. She thinks olives taste like batteries. Go figure!

When I think about that time in my life - I can't believe it is 2007 - it seems like yesterday. At that time we were living in California, I had 5 little kids, the oldest in the 5th grade, one in 3rd grade, one in Kindergarten, a 4 year old and a 4 1/2 month old. Whew how did I do it. Some of the kids friends who appear in my memories - were, Danielle, Shelley, Cori, Bo, and AJ. With Pam Landon across the street and the McEldowneys on the corner we some how survived. As a matter of fact - those were the magical days. I really think we had alot of fun. At least I have good memories, and I hope they do also.

As for the Casserole, we had it for dinner last night. My youngest came home from school with one of her "Scrubs" today, she asked him if he wanted some Whitnee Casserole, he said what is that, the reply was "it is so bomb, just try it." Why is it called Whitnee Casserole, "I don't know it just is!" He loved it. Maybe I should pull out my little "My Mother's Cook Book", and give him the recipe.
My question is "I wonder what happened to Whitnee?"


Whitnee Casserole

1 medium onion

1 pound of ground beef

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. Chili Powder

1 can Niblets Corn

1 cup Black Olives sliced

2 cups of uncooked noodles

1 cup grated cheese

Brown meat, add onion, tomato sauce, olives, corn and spices. Let simmer while noodles cook. Cook noodles until tender. Drain then mix all ingredients together except cheese. Place in casserole dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and cook another 10 minutes.

Donated by "Whitnee Sacks"

2 comments:

Cori said...

This is too funny mom, we just had whitnee caserole last night. And i must say it is a kid pleaser. And one of those dishes you always have to ingredients for. And pretty simple to whip together.

Laura Jex said...

ok, that Is SO what I am having for dinner tonight! Thank you Whitnee!!!!!!!!!!